Monday, July 7, 2008

I just can't help it..


A few days ago, I attended my niece’s wedding. I watched the ceremony with my soon-to-be-ex-wife at my side. Memories of our own wedding flashed in my mind as vows were made and rings were exchanged. It was a struggle to keep my thoughts from straying to the unhappy times of our marriage. I guess past experience caused my perspective to become jaded. Sometimes I had the urge to yell, “Hold on! Have you really thought about this?” Will I ever feel completely comfortable at weddings – or will they always feel like funerals?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

yeah I know what you mean - I can experience both the happiness and the knowledge that this is the pretty day - the beginning of a lifetime or at least a few years of tough work.

But I don't think it matters whether you are married or just living together - once you are together that much with one other person life is going to be full of adjustments - i think even if you are soulmates. And aren't soulmates really the people who we pick to teach us some lessons - those lessons aren't always easy - maybe we never even figure out what they are.

Max said...

That seems to be that hardest part. I have to not only learn the lessons but accept that to learn then I had to make mistakes and these mistakes have consequences and just because I learned the lesson doesn't mean I don't still have to live with the consequence. Hopefully I can get back to my old self and start seeing the bright side of everything.

Tiffany said...

Getting back to "your old self" may not be what you need. Consider the fact that the "old way" might have gotten you only pain. Learn from your past and move forward.

Unknown said...

Life comes in dosages of good times and bad ones. It is normal that you thought of unhappy moments. The key in my mind i to remember and acknowledge that there too are the good memories that exist.

Anonymous said...

There is always good time and bad time in relationship, always hold the good time in your heart and learn from the bad ones because that is how you grow and be able to improve your life is by learning from mistake we make.